Invisible Jiu Jitsu Academy SUSPENDING ALL CLASSES
From tomorrow morning, Monday 16th 2020. Please read entire message.
Dear Members of Invisible Jiu Jitsu,
This is the hardest statement we have ever had to make since opening the club. However, after careful consideration of the situation here and abroad, both for member’s and coaches’ continued safety we have taken the decision to close for a period of 2 weeks. The academy will be closed to students until April when we will reassess the situation every 2 weeks.
It is clear now that this infection is:
- Not just the flu. It is both more deadly and much more infectious, with no known vaccine.
- Transmissible even BEFORE symptoms are showing, unlike the flu.
- 80% will suffer mild symptoms, but 20% will require hospitalisation, which without strong action has the potential to overwhelm NHS resources causing increased loss of life and further impact to business within the UK.
- Transmissable via bodily fluid droplets both in the air and on surfaces.
Given that BJJ involves such close bodily contact it provides an ideal opportunity for transmission of this infection, and our current handwashing and no training when sick measures are inadequate to deal with the situation. Therefore, given the rise of confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Derby and Staffordshire, we feel that even though it may hurt us financially in the short term it is in the best long term interests to guarantee your safety at the club by closing before it is enforced upon us by the government.
We are not judging anyone, or any other gym who remains open now, or later. This is our choice, not anyone else's. We appreciate that our position will not be seen as a good one by all, nor agreed with by all. We also understand that some may say that we are spreading fear. On that, we must respectfully disagree. We feel that we are acting in the best interests of our coaches, our members, our community & our sport. Because even though that hurts us now, it is the right thing to do.
Opportunities for members to continue to train and study outside of class will be put into place:
including but may be more than:
- Private lessons with either David or Pep on return to normal training (should the gym be forced to close for a further extended period)
- Live stream Q and A’s and training tips via Facebook/YouTube
- Video Techniques via the Invisible Jiu Jitsu Youtube page (www.youtube.com/c/invisiblejiujitsu)
- Potential group cardio training to take place outdoors
- Customised training plans upon request for things that students can continue to study or solo drill at home.
All of these will be available to students who maintain their memberships as they are now.
I would personally like to thank everyone who has told me in advance that if this action were required that they would continue to support the club until we can reopen. All who can do so, please take advantage of the above opportunities and continue your membership to support the gym and help us to survive through this closure and ensure we are able to reopen when safe to do so.
For further updates follow the Invisible Jiu Jitsu Academy Facebook page at www.facebook.com/InvisibleJiuJitsuAcademy
If you have any questions, please get in touch via email at firstname.lastname@example.org ...